Sunday, March 6, 2011

Why "Natural"?

I mentioned in my “About” page that I am into natural medicine for several years now.  Although more and more are turning to this kind of alternative medicine, majority, of course, are still into the traditional one.  And you may wonder why I took another (unconventional) “road less traveled”?

First, let me give you a little background about myself.

As far as I can remember, I was a sickly child.  I was born "post-mature".  A few days after my mother and I were discharged, I was already back in the hospital due to fever.  I grew up going in and out of the hospital due to various illnesses, mostly in the upper respiratory system.   When I was young, I was always excused from P.E. (physical education class) due to asthma and bronchitis.  I grew up being bombarded with a lot of antibiotics, antihistamines and other drugs, and I have undergone 2 surgeries (both general anesthesia) at a young age.  Like most people, my family and I relied on conventional health and medical  professionals.  I obediently take whatever drug or medication prescribed to me to "get me well".  And this practice just went on and on, and did the same to my own family now.   I thought maybe, with all the drugs that I have taken ever since I was a baby and with my toxic lifestyle, even my reproductive system got affected.  But God has been good to me and my husband, after five years of marriage, He has blessed us with two little "angels", though after I surpassed 1 myomectomy and 2 series of pregnancy-induced hypertension.

In the case of my children, the same issue befell me.  When my firstborn was still a baby, whenever she gets sick (mostly in the upper respiratory system, too), she was always prescribed with an antibiotic even if the illness was just viral in nature.  She would temporary "get well" for one quarter, then the symptom would come back again the next quarter.  Instead of strengthening her immune system, the more it became weak, thus, she became more susceptible to more illnesses.  Even our second child had his share of experience with antibiotics even when he was still a few weeks old.  I already learned then what antibiotics are for and how they work in the body, and that they come with potential side effects that are harmful to our body.  It bothered me a lot that these drugs are being bombarded into my children's little bodies (even if it can be avoided most of the time), and that they are becoming “drug dependent” like me.  This moved me to look for an alternative.  Thanks to my sister who introduced me to her children's Pediatrician who specializes in the field of Natural Medicine.  Since then, I have been using natural remedies to treat the common illnesses of my family.  Then I noticed a gradual change in the children's health condition.  They became less susceptible to illnesses.  Their immune system became stronger, thus, even if they get sick, the natural defense system of their body fights back.

I learned through personal research that the human body is a complex organism that has the ability to heal itself - if only we listen to it and respond with proper nourishment and care.  Unfortunately, most average persons do not know this and they rely solely on what medical practitioners tell them and prescribe to them.  I realized that it is important that we take charge of our and our family's health, and not just leave it in the hands of others.  Part of it is to do our own research and know our choices.  And of course, pray and ask for God’s wisdom.  After all, HE is the Great Physician of all.

Natural health alternatives utilize the human body's amazing ability to make well and heal itself of almost any condition.  What I like most about it is that it has no harmful side effects*, less expensive than over-the-counter drugs and medications, no expiration dates, and comes from nature (God-made).

In reality, my current health condition is still far from my ideal.  I am still in the process of learning what my options are, and working myself with discipline to really pursue a healthy lifestyle, and, hopefully, also be able to provide the proper health care for my family naturally.

More about natural health and healthy living in my next blogs!

* As there are numerous natural remedies available, some may have interaction with prescription or over-the-counter drugs and supplements if taken together, so it is best to consult a licensed medical or health care practitioner if you are currently taking any drugs or supplements. 

1 comment:

  1. Natural remedies are good for holistic approach to one's health.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment in my blog. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. God bless you!

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...